Can ask me S3D questions at MRRF

Forum for all things related to Simplify 3D Software
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Can ask me S3D questions at MRRF

Post by jmpreuss »

Since I'll be at the fest on Friday and Saturday and will have my laptop if anyone coming wants to take a look at it or ask me questions feel free. I will probably be with the Kalamazoo maker guild group, though if things weren't coordinated right I may be on my own. Look for the Orion with the top mounted filament roll.
PTMNBN="Printer that must not be named" - a heavily upgraded Replicator 2
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Can ask me S3D questions at MRRF

Post by Eaglezsoar »

jmpreuss wrote:Since I'll be at the fest on Friday and Saturday and will have my laptop if anyone coming wants to take a look at it or ask me questions feel free. I will probably be with the Kalamazoo maker guild group, though if things weren't coordinated right I may be on my own. Look for the Orion with the top mounted filament roll.
Have you posted pictures of the top mounted spool on your Orion?
Holy1
Printmaster!

Post by Holy1 »

Is the support function of S3d as good as advertised? I am on the fence like many due to the $$$.
Orion to Cartesian http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

Holy1 wrote:Is the support function of S3d as good as advertised? I am on the fence like many due to the $$$.
I just bought it yesterday ... man, I am impressed with the support function! I like that you can EASILY manipulate it manually.

I had tried to print a piece with support using Slic3r that didn't get right in 3 attempts. I got it in my first attempt with S3D.

Also, I like the feature of different settings on different areas.

I know, I know, 140 ... any way, I need to keep thinking on the bright side :-)
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I'm still waiting for someone to do a thorough objective review. Maybe once you get some air time with it you could.

cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

mhackney wrote:I'm still waiting for someone to do a thorough objective review. Maybe once you get some air time with it you could.

cheers,
Michael
Yes, I need more print time to get the most Pros and Cos.

So far, what I like is the control I can get at printing time (support areas, different printing setups for different areas of a single piece), the very fast slicing times, and the simulation of the object being printed; however, over all, what I really like is that my Mac OSX version does not seem to be a handicapped one when compared against the Windows version, a feeling I have when using the Repetier Host in my Mac.

What I do not like is that it didn't connect to my Mac the first time. I had to figure out that I needed to change the Baud-rate in the printer Firmware (not big deal!). I would've been nice a FAQ about doing that when you're using OSX. I do not like, as well, that when you're entering the parameters for a Delta Printer, it asks for X,Y and Z, and not for a Radius instead. Also, do not quite like the control interface as you have to switch screens for sending a command and controlling the X,Y,Z position or extruding ... In repeater you have all this in one single panel, handily.

But ... still think that it is a GREAT piece of software, and, so far, Pros win :-)

I will get myself more experience, say a month? then will get back with what I had found.

Cheers!
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Others like me are also interested in your review of the software.
Thanks for what you have provided so far.
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Post by jmpreuss »

Eaglezsoar wrote: Have you posted pictures of the top mounted spool on your Orion?
See this post http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ross
Noob

Post by ross »

I have kit built Rostock Max. I bought S3D software. I set printer Rostock Max on the install and it won't connect to the printer.

Have an Arduno MEGA2560 board. Powered by RAMBo v1.2 With USB connection using COM3.

Repitier connects & prints no problem.

Any Ideas of things I might try to get S3D to connect?
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Check 3 posts up.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Post by jmpreuss »

ross wrote:I have kit built Rostock Max. I bought S3D software. I set printer Rostock Max on the install and it won't connect to the printer.

Have an Arduno MEGA2560 board. Powered by RAMBo v1.2 With USB connection using COM3.

Repitier connects & prints no problem.

Any Ideas of things I might try to get S3D to connect?
As hinted if you have a mac the baud rate can be an issue, it was at first for me but it works fine now. I don't use usb very often though, only for testing.

Also check the machine type. For some reason (which is quite frustrating to me since I go back and forth between my MB rep2 and my seemecnc machines) the machine type is not tied to the profile. So just because you have the profile for the max it may be on a different machine type.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

FWIW I've stopped printing from inside S3D, on my mac it will print for some period of time then randomly the printer homes and the print restarts. The Gcode it generates is fine, and I'm not sure how it even manages to do that but I now slice in simplify, export to a file them actually run the printer from repetier host.
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

Polygonhell wrote:FWIW I've stopped printing from inside S3D, on my mac it will print for some period of time then randomly the printer homes and the print restarts. The Gcode it generates is fine, and I'm not sure how it even manages to do that but I now slice in simplify, export to a file them actually run the printer from repetier host.
Just curious, did it was fixed with the new release?
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

artexmg wrote:
Polygonhell wrote:FWIW I've stopped printing from inside S3D, on my mac it will print for some period of time then randomly the printer homes and the print restarts. The Gcode it generates is fine, and I'm not sure how it even manages to do that but I now slice in simplify, export to a file them actually run the printer from repetier host.
Just curious, did it was fixed with the new release?
I print from Mac and PC, but almost all time using a SD Card. I just want to know if you are still facing the same issue, as I would probably have it. If so, I will just know to avoid to print directly from my Mac :-)
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

I haven't been using it over the last few weeks, in part because there is a second issue when the bottom of the model is convex, the brim is incorrectly calculated and in what I'm sure is a related issue, if the model has very little contact on the first layer there is no support put under the (in this case) large second layer resulting in an unusable tool path.

Return to “Simplify3D”