Broke down and bought a license...

Forum for all things related to Simplify 3D Software
heathenx
Printmaster!

Re: Broke down and bought a license...

Post by heathenx »

Alright. I have a better understanding of the problem areas. I believe I can fix my perimeter issue. I just recently fixed that on my RMax and my prints look much nicer. My FF could probably use a bit of calibration too.

I'd love to print your reel if you'd like to send me the stls. I'm not a fisherman but my boss is. Perhaps I can print him a nice model for his desk.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Dem ain't fer desk accessories, dems fer FISHIN'!

:D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
jesse
Printmaster!

Post by jesse »

Thanks for sharing your Simplify3D experiences. The criticism is especially good to know.

MeshMixer and CraftWare allow supports to be generated, added manually, and removed.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

LOL Gene! They do have a hypnotic/soothing effect on people too though. That might actually be why some people fly fish!

Cheers and Happy New Year,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

The new version V2.2 has some bugs with the new features that I really hope they fix soon because they're otherwise really nice features. I'm finding its with thin wall features and the new thin wall behavior as well as the infill and support features. I've had them glitch out and cause artifacts.

They did fix the perimeter hopping issue for multiple perimeters which is super nice, it helps hide the seams.

The new infill feature is nice however, you can change the infill extrusion width, I have it set at 200% now, it basically makes solid grid infill instead of strings all over inside(turn off random infill placement). Here is the bottom side of a translucent ABS part with 3 bottom layers and I think 25% infill(forgot to save and tried other settings).

[img]http://i.imgur.com/xSYyUjc.jpg[/img]
Khalid Khattak
Printmaster!

Post by Khalid Khattak »

Perfect print..i like it :)
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

So I'm starting to get the hang of this software now and I definitely am enjoying what it has to offer over the others I have used. I am still having some issues with it (z-scar, weird top infill issues, and lacking alternative infill options) , but overall it is working pretty good for a new piece of software that I haven't mastered yet. I'm going to keep using it as my primary slicer and hopefully in a few months I can say that I don't regret buying it.

Here was my first customer print using S3D. Red IC3D ABS with 0.2mm layers and 70% infill with a solid layer every 10 layers. Solid 8 layer interface between wheel and spindle on RH part. Biggest negative about the print is that the wipe process at the end of each layer pushed material out (KISSlicer dominates S3D at this).
2015-01-01 11.52.28.jpg
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

there's no doubt that the potential for control is there. I spent more than enough time to really become proficient at what it could do and not do and was never able to to remove the artifacts and other issues that affected my print quality. I know from keeping up with their forum that many others have similar issues and many of these folks have been at it for a year or so. I may be hypercritical on the appearance of my parts but even for routine things I'd like them to look respectable!

cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Just downloaded 2.2.1, just re-sliced a couple things I was having issues with before a couple times to try and I don't seem to have any of those issues. I didn't put it through the ringer but it looks good so far!
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

New problem in the latest beta*. When you print on top of a raft, it skips a FULL layer PLUS the distance specified to skip rather than just the distance.... nothing sticks..

*not actually a beta....
HoosierCruz
Plasticator

Post by HoosierCruz »

I'm not sure if anyone else has issues with the S3D leveling wizard, but it seems as though the 'wizard' thinks the build plate is much bigger than it actually is - I am assuming this because the hot end crashes into each tower as it goes through the leveling procedure.

I even input special coordinates (same as the macros in the guide) and the arms don't seem to be using those coordinates at all because the hot end keeps crashing into the towers.

Anyone else have this issue?
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

I don't use the self leveling thing but S3D calculates the build area very poorly(100% wrong) - its way too big for a round platform.
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

JFettig wrote:I don't use the self leveling thing but S3D calculates the build area very poorly(100% wrong) - its way too big for a round platform.
Agreed about how it estimates round platforms. I haven't done it yet, but apparently you have to multiply your radius by 0.707 (cosine of 45 degrees) for it to get it correct.

http://www.forum.simplify3d.com/viewtop ... elta#p7011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Do that then throw a 270mm diameter part on it, it'll say its too large!
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

JFettig wrote:Do that then throw a 270mm diameter part on it, it'll say its too large!
Well that sucks.
HoosierCruz
Plasticator

Post by HoosierCruz »

wow, what a hack. Strongly considering a refund request at this point.

thanks for the help!
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Post by jmpreuss »

JFettig wrote:Do that then throw a 270mm diameter part on it, it'll say its too large!
True, but if it looks like it fits on the build plate it does.
PTMNBN="Printer that must not be named" - a heavily upgraded Replicator 2
Khalid Khattak
Printmaster!

Post by Khalid Khattak »

Initially the Gcode was generated from Simplify3D by my friend living abroad. As i am new to 3D printing i thought 3D printed parts having gaps in layers so its normal thing. From yesterday i am using CURA and what a quality i get unbelieving... No gaps between the layer especially around circles etc...

I also get the Skirt/brim removed very easy from the part... Cura is magic IMHO... I also love the support generated by CURA but S3D supports are much more better.

This is my Opinion.
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

There are tons of settings in S3d that you can mess with to take care of most of those issues.
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

Khalid Khattak wrote:Initially the Gcode was generated from Simplify3D by my friend living abroad.
Any slicer configured specifically for your printer and calibrated by yourself will work better than someone else's settings from a different slicer that has never been calibrated specifically for your machine.

I'm still using a mix of S3D and Kisslicer, but am favoring S3D more and more. It isn't perfect, but I am liking the slicing speed, part consistency, and general convenience of not editing gcode or having to export the gcode to another program if I don't want to.

Here is my latest S3D print...not perfect on some of the blades but overall came out nice.
Material: IC3D 1.75mm ABS
Printer Settings: 0.16mm layers, baseline speed = 35mm/s, infill = 20% w/ 200% extrusion width
Part size: 67mm in diameter

[img]https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8602/161 ... 713a_c.jpg[/img]
HoosierCruz
Plasticator

Post by HoosierCruz »

@0110-m-p wow yeah that is an awesome print

I am 100% down for tuning my machine like a harp, but I just need to learn the ways :geek:
Dreyfusduke
Prints-a-lot

Post by Dreyfusduke »

Just updated my Simplify 3D to the latest release. Since I was using it for my Flashforge (sold it recently) I finally reconfigured it for the Rostock. All I can say is wow. Just a few settings changed (retract down to 4mm) and I am amazed. I will post some comparison pics when I can. I not only love the ability to customize the supports, but its how it prints them. They seem much more precise and very easy to remove with a nice clean surface afterwards. I am using a E3D V6 head with 0.4mm extruder tip.
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

Since I haven't gotten any of the three provided slicers to slice my model without crashing (the same file that I've printed a couple of hundred of on my Afinia), I tried to buy a license.

Well, THAT doesn't work. The PayPal sign-in page just keeps looping saying it's timed out (in seconds) and the credit card payment fails with gateway errors and a note that it MAY have charged my card.

:(
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Ibid.)
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

Well, a registration mail showed up so I guess one of the payments worked.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Ibid.)
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

jdurand wrote:Well, a registration mail showed up so I guess one of the payments worked.
One of? That sounds like it could be expensive lol
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me

Return to “Simplify3D”