Broke down and bought a license...

Forum for all things related to Simplify 3D Software
JFettig
Printmaster!

Re: Broke down and bought a license...

Post by JFettig »

I have only ever printed about 1/4 of a roll of PLA so I can't comment.

Like I said - simple parts are all I could ever get KISS to slice nicely - your fly reel is a very simple part and It does a great job with it.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

The "simplicity" of my fly reel is primarily due to the work and refinement I put into the design. Each of the 9 printed parts are highly optimized. The rotating parts are critical dimensions that are very dependent on the slicer output, as are the fit of the post and pocket construction of the frame. But I've printed enough other parts with KISS that I haven't run into anything I couldn't get great results with.

You have my curiosity! Can you provide an example of a not simple part that you've had problems with KISS and I'll take a go at it?

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Any part that requires support and also has small holes.

No, I cannot post the complex parts I have been building.
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

I too have recently paid for a S3D license. I really liked MatterControl but it would grind to a halt when it came to slicing complex models. S3D seems to handle those same models with ease, slicing them in just a few seconds. Prints come out nicely. I'm starting with version 2.2.2 of S3D and, so far, I haven't notice any blobbing nor the need to adjust the wipe/coasting settings... at least not yet.

I really like the UI and, of course, the support material.

The application does have it's shortcomings, but so does every app/slicer. My biggest grip with the software is, as other's have mentioned, the limited control over infill. If they would add Hexagonal and Triangles to the infill type, I would be happy.

There seems to be updates every 3-4 months so hopefully, one of those updates will finally address infill.
Plasticator

Post by woolfel »

I recently bought S3D and wrote a quick blog entry on setting it up for Rostock Max V2.

http://electronsfree.blogspot.com/2015/ ... mecnc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even though I had the printer calibrated with matter control, I found that I had to recalibrate for S3D. The default settings that come with the latest version for Rostock Max V1 weren't correct for V2. Support did respond to my question and helped me get it setup. hopefully others will find the tutorial useful.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

The only problem I had was getting my head wrapped around how they call out settings. I did not have to recalibrate my printer. I don't use Mattercontrol either, so that may be why.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
woolfel
Plasticator

Post by woolfel »

one nice feature of S3D is the cost calculation for a print.

I did print a calibration cube with S3D and the infill wasn't as strong as what matter control produces. If I figure out the right settings for that I'll post them.
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

The infill extrusion width needs to be cranked up as high as 200%
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Yeah the 200% infill width is a neat trick. Kinda weird at first, when you think about it, but in practice it is great. It lays down a double thick line of infill on the first layer, and then all the other layers are extruded at double height. Because of the nature of FDM, the printer doesn't actually distinguish between extrusion width or layer height, that is simply a function of the distance of the nozzle from the substrate. I'm definitely a fan of the infill, now. I wonder if the same technique could be used with a triangular infill pattern, by setting the infill angles to be that of a triangle and setting the width to 300% (Can you set it to 300?) edit: yes. yes you can. glorious.
*not actually a robot
woolfel
Plasticator

Post by woolfel »

thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try and see how the result is
woolfel
Plasticator

Post by woolfel »

with the 200% setting, the infill turns out strong.

the nice part of the simpler infill is faster print speed compared to matter control's default triangle setting. I attached a picture of the calibration cube.
Attachments
IMG_5262.JPG
woolfel
Plasticator

Post by woolfel »

What Bed temp are people using with ABS?

I tried 80 and that resulted in warping. I see the docs state Max V2 can go up to 120.

peter
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

I use 95 degrees for the bed and 235 for the hot end. I also use four, cross hatched layers of purple glue stick. As long as the glue stick is laid down fresh just before printing, I don't have any warping issues.
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

You'll find temperatures needed can take some tweaking with bed material, machine calibration, part configuration, slicer settings, ambient temperature and drafts, and filament characteristics, notably vendor and sometimes color, but also possibly some variability from roll to roll, depending on age, storage conditions, or even other variables that the end user can't pin down.
markwhelan
Plasticator

Post by markwhelan »

woolfel wrote:I recently bought S3D and wrote a quick blog entry on setting it up for Rostock Max V2.

http://electronsfree.blogspot.com/2015/ ... mecnc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even though I had the printer calibrated with matter control, I found that I had to recalibrate for S3D. The default settings that come with the latest version for Rostock Max V1 weren't correct for V2. Support did respond to my question and helped me get it setup. hopefully others will find the tutorial useful.
Good job, thx
EL Cuajinais
Printmaster!

Post by EL Cuajinais »

woolfel wrote:I recently bought S3D and wrote a quick blog entry on setting it up for Rostock Max V2.

Thank you very much for this. I had the wrong bed size because I was using S3D with the Rostock Max Settings. I added the calibration macros per your instructions be did not find it of use since you still need Matter Control to adjust the Horizontal Radius.

Return to “Simplify3D”