Almost giving up!

Forum for all things related to Simplify 3D Software
markwhelan
Plasticator

Almost giving up!

Post by markwhelan »

Hi guys, any idea why my S3D setup wont even match MatterControl which is straight out the box settings.

I printed a 10x10x10 cube in MatterControl and it looks perfect but trying to even match the same results in S3D even after a few days at it is just impossible.

I have downloaded peoples setting, read about a 1000 posts, tried a million things but cant equal the quality.

The one on the right is MatterControl - any help apreciated as i do want to use S3D.
IMG_2354.JPG
IMG_2355.JPG
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Re: Almost giving up!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Looks like overextrusion. Are you set to a measured filament diameter? Is your nozzle size set correctly? Do you have an extrusion multiplier set in MC but not in S3D (or vice-versa)?
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

The only sound advise I would give is don't randomly change or adopt other peoples settings. Even here you'll get a magnitude of different things to try, then lose track or change to many settings at once.

First thing you should do is figure out your extrusion multiplier. Your goal is to match the actual extrusion width with your "Nozzle Diameter".
You do this by printing hollow cubes and measure the wall thickness and adjust the "Extrusion Multiplier" until it matches your "Nozzle Diameter". Don't adjust the "Extrution Width" setting as it should match your "Nozzle Diameter" for now.

Don't download a calibration cube from the internet, you need to make your own with a wall thickness that matches your nozzle diameter. I've attached mine just in-case you have a .40mm nozzle. If you have the stock hotend with the .50mm nozzle, don't use the attached STL.

To print the the cube, you'll need to change a few things.

Infill Percentage = 0

~Extruder Tab
Nozzle Diameter= actual size (mine is .40mm)
Extrusion Multiplier = 1.00
Extrusion Width = Manual, and actual nozzle diameter (mine is .40mm)

~Layer Tab
Top Solid Layer = 0
Bottom solid layer = 2
Outline/Perimeter shells = 1

~Advanced Tab
Merge all outlines into a single solid model = checked
Only use perimeters for thin walls = selected

~Other Tab
Filament diameter = actual thickness of your filament (very important to get an average)

After it's printed measure the wall thickness. If it's thicker than your nozzle diameter then lower the "Extrusion Multiplier". Thinner walls mean raise the "Extrusion Multiplier". Once it's printing perfectly, write those settings on the spool or keep track on excel/notepad.

Everything in "quotes" are actual FFF settings in S3D.
040mm_calibration_cube.stl
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

S3D can be frustrating when it comes to blobs. You'll have to play with coast and retract to minimize them. Looks a little like your speeds between the two slicers are different? Whenever I printed something with Matter Control, I'd use the same settings but it always printed much slower.
markwhelan
Plasticator

Post by markwhelan »

Thanks for the feedback, i am using a 0.4 nozzle so i will use your stl.

The only thing that you have different to everything else that i have tried is to set the multiplier at the same size as the nozzle 0.40, previously i have been setting it 0.44

Hopefully this will make the difference, will post back shortly.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

markwhelan wrote:Thanks for the feedback, i am using a 0.4 nozzle so i will use your stl.

The only thing that you have different to everything else that i have tried is to set the multiplier at the same size as the nozzle 0.40, previously i have been setting it 0.44

Hopefully this will make the difference, will post back shortly.

So once the extrusion multiplier with the nozzle size matches when measuring the actual wall thickness, then you can set the Extrusion Width to anything within reason and it should squirt out a layer exactly that size. That's good when you have a .5mm wall and only .4 nozzle, or a .3 wall and .4 nozzle. Just change the Extrusion Width to match the model and it should adjust the rate automatically.

I've never had luck using auto for anything. My extrusion multiplier is .98
Last edited by KAS on Sat May 02, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markwhelan
Plasticator

Post by markwhelan »

So my multiplier is quite low, 0.80 - i also noticed that 3 of the walls are as good as 0.40 but 1 wall can be 0.41-0.45, i printed twice and same both times.

I also just printed the same stl in MatterControl and its consistent 0.47 every wall (i don't know how to change the extrusion width in MatterControl but i was just testing to make sure it was not hardware related)

I printer a 10x10x10 cube but no better after setting the extrusion width in S3D.
IMG_2359.JPG
Since i switch to a new filament i printer the cube in MC again which is on the right. You can feel your nail scratching down the S3D print but hardly when you scratch the MC print.
IMG_2366.JPG
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

That's just a layer height adjustment. In S3D on the Layer tab, set "Primary Layer Height" to .16mm and try the print again.
markwhelan
Plasticator

Post by markwhelan »

KAS wrote:That's just a layer height adjustment. In S3D on the Layer tab, set "Primary Layer Height" to .16mm and try the print again.
I will give it a go but layer height in MC is 0.20.

Return to “Simplify3D”