Good starting settings for RoMaxV2 and E3DV6

Forum for all things related to Simplify 3D Software
Fabio
Prints-a-lot

Good starting settings for RoMaxV2 and E3DV6

Post by Fabio »

After getting some absolutely rubbish results with the E3D V6 hot end with S3D - I undertook a few days of testing and discovered a few interesting things.

With the standard 0.4mm Nozzle on the E3D it simply cannot keep up at the default speed settings for the Rostock in the S3D 3.0 default file.

The printer can go that speed - the extruder can handle it - the nozzle and hot end cannot. I got jams galore and terrible print results.. after a lot of experimentation I found that these settings almost guarantee good results at the sacrifice of slightly slower print speeds.
Clip.png
Clip.png (7.2 KiB) Viewed 10264 times
these would be good settings for you to start with if you've had nothing but trouble with your E3D

maybe with a 0.6mmm nozzle or a volcano hot end it could keep up at top speeds - but I have found it just can't with the standard 0.4mm nozzle.

hope that helps anyone having problems...
MESHWEAVER - making the Imaginary real on a Daily Basis.....
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Re: Good starting settings for RoMaxV2 and E3DV6

Post by IMBoring25 »

Did you get this v6 from e3d?
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

I've a V5 with 0.4mm nozzle, stock ezstruder and yes (at least for me) I can't do more than 40mm/s
Martín S.
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Please don't say this around my printer. It doesn't know that it can't go faster than 40mm/sec. 8-)

My S3D default speed is 100mm/sec and I sometimes go to 150 to 175mm/sec using the E3Dv6 and a 0.4mm nozzle and 0.3mm line width. I wonder if you are having jams due to an excessive retraction length.

nitewatchman
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

That was why I asked about the source. I cranked my v6 on my Mendel up to 75 mm/s with 0.3mm layer height this morning and it seems like it has considerably more to give.

I can't help but think it's a clone/fake, something is goofy in assembly, or there's a serious settings issue (such as, perhaps, the excessive retraction possibility).
Fabio
Prints-a-lot

Post by Fabio »

It's a genuine E3D V6 and the retract is currently set to 1.8mm. - and was never higher than 2.5mmm in all the failed prints.. it was the first thing I tried to get better results ;)

it just can't go faster than 45mm/s without jamming - the extruder pushes filament faster than the head can melt it and it jams - with everything set as per recommendations and user tips - no free play in bowden fittings - thermal paste in thermal break etc.etc..etc..

this was the all too common scenario - it would print the outline just fine - but then run dry and air print when doing the infill which was done at default speed especially if there was a lot of infill to do... - come next outline nothing would happen already jammed the nozzle. Coupled to the obviously noticeable fact that the infill was blobby and generally quite crap before it clogged up. time after time after time this happened. if the infill area was not too large it would successfully print the next outline but the infill was so rubbish it may as well have not been done...IF the infill area was substantial it would run dry and jam.

Only thing that produced consistent prints that did not jam was lower overall speed settings - which to put it mildly is a bit disappointing considering all that E3D imply performance wise with the hot end. since dropping the speeds I haven't had a print fail yet with good surface finish results.

the only variables yet to be checked are different PLA brand and whether the thermistor is actually reading properly despite being set to E3D recommendations in firmware I'm having to have the hot end at 215C+ otherwise the hot end will start to air print and jam (even at 210 this happens) Which is weird because when I first tried it with the default thermistor 97 table it would print at 200 no problems but as soon as I changed it to table 8 as recommended it needed upping the temp to get similar results.

I have a suspicion the nozzle is at the bottom end of the PLA melt zone and the thermistor is under reporting by a large margin.. I'm swapping it for a M3 studded thermistor soon to see if I get better results.

A quick google search and a look through their own forums confirms lots and lots of jamming issues - I found speed to be the major factor here. I also have a suspicion the thermistors supplied are a bit pants....
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Ahh, there we go. You're printing PLA with it. That has been a problematic material in the past. Try running ABS through it and see how it goes.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

All of th e E3D thermistors I have reported higher than actaul temperatures on the recommended table, I swapped to using a custom beta value to generate the values..
The V6 is supposed to have largely solved the issue with PLA, but I still see occasional people who have trouble with it, and I the past their manufacturing consistency between hotends wasn't the best.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

What is your retract SPEED? I've written plenty here and other forums about too high retract speed with PLA causing "hydraulic jamming" due to the thixotropic nature of molten PLA. I am able to print well above 100mm/s with my E3D v6 so it is NOT the hot end or printer. I just re-purchased S3D this week to give it another shot. Although the two parts I sliced had horrible path artifacts (you can see my post on their forum or in another thread here) I tuned S3D for a slow retract (20mm/s) and lowered the "extrusion multipler" to 100% and used .4mm for both the orifice and extrusion width (manual). On these E3D hotends you should not need more than about 1mm retract with a Bowden setup.

I have my thermistors calibrated properly as Polygonell mentions in his comment and they are spot on temperature-wise when compared to external thermocouple readings. I've been printing PLA everyday, 365 days a year producing my fly fishing reels as fast as I can sell them and I've not had a single PLA jamming issue in well over 18 months. There is NO problem printing PLA with an E3D V6, read my sticky posts in my signature, they will help get great results.

My money is on your retract speed settings although with S3D many of the other settings seem to be out of whack too.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Fabio
Prints-a-lot

Post by Fabio »

I've settled on an extrusion multiplier of 0.97 and my retraction distance has evened out at between 0.8-0.95 for best results.. with width and nozzle manually set to 0.4mm

I will definitely try your suggestion with the retraction speed - it's the one variable I haven't actually played with too much yet - currently I have it set below the default at 100 mm/s but I will try your suggestion tomorrow when I fire her up after her first service - things need tightening etc...

I've got a m3 stud therm' to stick in there tomorrow and was looking to put in a custom therm' table but I think I'll start off with table 1 which should be OK as a basis for an Epcos 100K therm'.

Waiting for a meter/thermocouple combo to turn up to tweak the settings properly as per suggestions :)

I'll whip up a small cube with separate processes to test what speeds I can hit with your suggested retraction speed edit.
Neptune
Printmaster!

Post by Neptune »

so Fabio, where did all this land...???

Return to “Simplify3D”