Is it possible to edit the slicing of MC?

Burley
Prints-a-lot

Is it possible to edit the slicing of MC?

Post by Burley »

Hi all,

I'm very new to this whole process. I modeled an item in Sketchup, exported to an STL file and read it into MC. Stepping through the generated layers, I see one that is really wacky (tech term ;) ) and I want to delete that one layer, can/how do I do it?

Jim
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Is it possible to edit the slicing of MC?

Post by mhackney »

Not really, all you can do is play with slicing parameters. Can you post a screenshot? Maybe we can help more.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

SketchUp is a bad tool for building things to be printed, it's way too easy to generate geometry that won't slice well.
I'd recommend the free version of Fusion 360 or OnShape, but I don't mind my stiff being in the cloud.
Burley
Prints-a-lot

Post by Burley »

:)
Last edited by Burley on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burley
Prints-a-lot

Post by Burley »

I thought there was possibly some temporary gcode file built before the actual printing begins. Seems like there should be someplace that the data is available...hmmm. I tried Fusion but the 'cloud' is too much of a pain with super slow internet speeds. Thanks.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

There is a gcode file and you can save it. But editing out an entire layer is not trivial. It can be done but you probably won't be happy with the results and it depends on other slicer nuances and configuration. I manually combine gcode files but i have good reason to do this. Otherwise I'd verify the model. Or Prost a screenshot so we can see what you ae talking about.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Burley
Prints-a-lot

Post by Burley »

IMG_1250.jpg
This is on 1 slice of 746. Located about 140 slices from the beginning. Where is the temp file? Extent, etc. The red stop sign is the culprit.

Jim
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

If it's in an area where it's tolerable to duplicate a preceding or subsequent layer, you can just replace the lines between the G1 Z[the layer you want to replace] and the G1 Z[the next layer] with a copy of the corresponding lines from the layer you can tolerate duplicating. Ideally, start with a well-conditioned STL by using something other than SketchUp and considering running the file through Netfabb or similar repair utility.
Burley
Prints-a-lot

Post by Burley »

Well, I'm giving it a shot. I saw where MC can export the gcode. Notepad++ does a nice job of formatting the data. I blew out the offending layer, and am running it as gcode. We'll see what it looks like in about 8-9 hours.

Jim
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I'm going to bet you'll have a bit of a void there. It looked like a single point with an overly large E value, or perhaps it was a graphical glitch (I've had more than a few with it), rendering a point and dropping a decimal on size.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Burley
Prints-a-lot

Post by Burley »

It'll be interesting, and a good learning opportunity. MC's layout is pretty good, but 'foreign' to me. I've been using Mach3 for years on my CNC mill. Most of my experience was with Mastercam years ago, when I was rewriting the 'posts' for CNC mills, lathes, plasma, etc. So, a little slow on the uptake but I'll try to keep up. I guess I didn't sense the bad vibes with SketchUp as I was researching 3D printing. But as one commented about keeping "his stiff" in or out of the cloud, I definitely would keep mine 'out' of a cloud. ;)

Jim
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Burley wrote:It'll be interesting, and a good learning opportunity. MC's layout is pretty good, but 'foreign' to me. I've been using Mach3 for years on my CNC mill. Most of my experience was with Mastercam years ago, when I was rewriting the 'posts' for CNC mills, lathes, plasma, etc. So, a little slow on the uptake but I'll try to keep up. I guess I didn't sense the bad vibes with SketchUp as I was researching 3D printing. But as one commented about keeping "his stiff" in or out of the cloud, I definitely would keep mine 'out' of a cloud. ;)

Jim
I might try Blender, at least as a post-processing step for sketchup stuff, if not the entire design process, as it has a plug-in that will do things like scanning for non-manifold surfaces, overhangs, inverted faces, and a couple other 3D printing specific issues, and is free, while keeping your stuff out of the cloud.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

If you're a Windows user, you might want to look into DesignSpark Mechanical. It's got a work flow that's very similar to SketchUp. DSM is essentially SpaceClaim tweaked to only save as either native (proprietary) files, or STLs. There's a forum member here (Hi Jim!) that's put together some nice tutorial vids for it - the links for them currently escape me... :(

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Burley
Prints-a-lot

Post by Burley »

I certainly appreciate the help and advice you guys have come up with. The 'operation' worked fine, but the patient died :shock:

The wall thickness of my design was too thick, and I need to get my head wrapped around the workflow better. I just ran the Sketchup file through Autoconverter then through Meshmixer, and then again through MC. Quite a few errors were picked off, but I can still see some fragmented lines as I step through the generated layers. So, next step is to rebuild it with Fusion, and see the differences. Thanks again.

Jim

Return to “MatterControl”