Mattercontrol confuses me. Intentionally!

Kitecraft
Printmaster!

Mattercontrol confuses me. Intentionally!

Post by Kitecraft »

I'm confused about the slicer settings since there seem to be multiple options that seem to control the same thing and I don't know which to use.

There seem to be 2 different settings for infill.
Print->Infill->Infill type
and
Print->INfill->Fill Pattern.
Which one should be used? And why does only 'Fill Pattern' offer honeycomb?

And then there is:
Print->Lyaers/Perimeters->First Layer Height which is clearly for setting the height of the first layer
and
Print->Advanced->First Layer which is also a distance measurement so it seems to also be for the height of the first layer
Which one should be used? Is there a difference?

Thanks!
Cheers.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Re: Mattercontrol confuses me. Intentionally!

Post by Captain Starfish »

I gather this is within the variant setup rather than the main screens?

It's because the UI is trying to sit on top of three different slicing programs (MatterSlice, Cura and Slic3r).

Infill -> Fill Pattern will be for Slic3r, it's the only one that does honeycomb. Fill Style will apply to MatterSlice, not sure about Cura. If you set it, then go back to the main settings screens, it will hilight it as a setting change if you got the right one.

The first layers are a different story. Switch on help to get a better understanding. First layer height, as you say, is obvious. Advanced -> first layer is a percentage extrusion rate for the first layer, set it to about 120-130% to really smoosh plastic down into the bed for better adhesion.
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Post by Earthbound »

Print->Advanced->First Layer is a target or multiplier for the first layer extrusion width. The other value was first layer height. Cranking up the width pushes more material into the neighboring passes for good bottom shell integrity and improved bed adhesion.
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Kitecraft
Printmaster!

Post by Kitecraft »

Thanks for the info.
I think you solved my other problem by explaining 'Advanced->First Layer'. Thank you.
They could add the word 'width' to that option to clarify it.

Oh, and the help for that option doesn't indicate it's for width which is why I thought height.

Cheers
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

It would be nice if they tagged each parameter with one or more little icons that indicated which slicer it applied to.

It may already filter settings to restrict what's displayed to only those that apply to the currently selected slicing engine, but I don't know. If it doesn't, it certainly should. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

It's annoying, they filter it on the main screens but they don't filter it in the profile setups.

Return to “MatterControl”