Stringing

Discuss filament successes and failures!
Twac1
Printmaster!

Stringing

Post by Twac1 »

So I've searched the posts to no avail. I'm trying to fix my string/Seam problem. When printing circular things I have the most problems. Using pls there seems to allways be a very prominent seam in one spot that leaves slag, also on printing multiple parts on one edge it does the same. When I am printing one cylinder inside another it strings like crazy causing the two to become kind of stuck together by the strings. I have tried lowering temps, slowing down retract,using the wipe setting, decrecing retraction. Where should I start?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Stringing

Post by mhackney »

You didn't mention what slicer you are using. Some slicers are much better at this. Some slicers will never fix this problem. For seam hiding on circular parts the best slicer for that is KISS. You can get respectable results with Cura and sometimes s3d (if you are willing to invest a lot of time and experimentation).

Also your temperatures affect this too. Most people print PLA too hot and guess what, have stringing problems. Find the lowest melt temperature for your print speed and use that. Retract plays a roll too. Too much, too fast (especially the advance) causes problems.

You also don't mention what printer and hot end you have.

When you "try" things, are you doing one change at a time and writing down the results of that change? For instance, you lowered the temperature - what happened? Get better, stay the same, got worse? That one thing might not completely fix your problem but take note. Once you have looked at each variable, then you pick one, and change the others against it. So in this case, if you find you can print at 185°C (lower temp) then set temp to 185°C and change retract speed. Then reset retract speed and change wipe. Then reset wipe and change ... Keep this up until you completely understand what the relationship between these are. Keep notes. The more you test, the more you print and OBSERVE and DOCUMENT what's going on, the better results you will have.

Sometimes, some geometries just don't print nicely. Or they were designed for a particular nozzle diameter and you have a different diameter that changes the multiples. I understand the effects of geometry and design my parts to take that into consideration. For instance, thin wall cylinders - I print with a .4mm nozzle. I would print one perimeter at .4mm or two at .8mm or three at 1.2mm. So if I designed this cylinder in CAD, I would not make the wall .7mm thick or 1.0mm thick as that would not give me an even multiple of the extrusion width, which cause havoc in the slicer's path generation. That's one reason I don't like model sharing. For non-functional widgets like Yoda busts it doesn't matter (except for the lack of supports actually designed INTO the model) but for functional things, it makes a world of difference.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Twac1
Printmaster!

Post by Twac1 »

I'm using matter control, printer is the v3. I have downloaded kiss, but nervous about the set up? Also I'm going to try lowering my temp more, I have no issues with a good bust or solid peice. I'm running at around 200
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Matter Control is not a slicer. It is a control application that just happens to have 2 different slicers included with it. One is MatterSlice (their default of course) and Cura. Which slicer are you using? Select Cura and try that.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Twac1
Printmaster!

Post by Twac1 »

Didn't eaven know that lol. Where do you select?
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

Settings and controls, under the application section "Slice Engine". Most will recommend switching off of MatterSlice to one of the others, I think more prefer Cura to Slic3r.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

morgandc wrote:Settings and controls, under the application section "Slice Engine". Most will recommend switching off of MatterSlice to one of the others, I think more prefer Cura to Slic3r.
That's mostly because Slic3r in mattercontrol is completely broken (And has been for a while, YAY!) and attempts to send the toolhead off the side of the machine.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “Filament”