Difference between Taulman filaments?

Discuss filament successes and failures!
Renha
Printmaster!

Difference between Taulman filaments?

Post by Renha »

Good time of day everyone. I have reviewed seemecnc catalog of filaments, and have found some sorts of nylon:
- T-Glase
- Taulman 618
- Taulman 645
I have read description of each, I have visited site fron their label and read descriptions there, but i could not understand the difference, for example (just example of what i want to find, no real data here!):
- T-G needs much less temperature than 618 and 645 to print
- 618 is much stronger than T-G and stronger than 645, but not so much
-etc.
Please, sorry if that question isn't smart enough. And, please, use easy to understand phrases, im not too good in english...
Last edited by Renha on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
3D printing is magic!

Sorry my engrish :-/ you could PM me in Russian.
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Re: Different between Taulman filaments?

Post by Glacian22 »

I'm not sure about the difference between 618 and 645, but T-Glase is not nylon, it's Taulman's PETT filament.
Renha
Printmaster!

Re: Different between Taulman filaments?

Post by Renha »

Glacian22 wrote:I'm not sure about the difference between 618 and 645, but T-Glase is not nylon, it's Taulman's PETT filament.
ok, thanks, but anyway i interested in it, so it's great to find out difference in characteristics of it too...
3D printing is magic!

precisionpete
Printmaster!

Re: Difference between Taulman filaments?

Post by precisionpete »

And watch out for temperature needed to print.
I bought some 645 and now not sure if I can use it because of the limitation on extruder temp.
Renha
Printmaster!

Post by Renha »

precisionpete wrote:And watch out for temperature needed to print.
I bought some 645 and now not sure if I can use it because of the limitation on extruder temp.
why did you choose 645?
3D printing is magic!

precisionpete
Printmaster!

Post by precisionpete »

Renha wrote:
precisionpete wrote:And watch out for temperature needed to print.
why did you choose 645?
Just bought some extra filament when ordering my machine.
Needed some clear and t-glas and the 645 looked good, didn't pay attention to needed temp.
Just posted asking about how hot I can go with my extruder, testing right now to see if I can get the 645 to print.
Will probably just switch over to t-glas.

Good luck and happy printing!
Pete
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

Th Nylons are chemically very similar, one of them is opaque white and the other mostly clear, there are minor differences in tensile strength etc, but probably nothing most people would notice. Both 618 and 645 are a pig to print with, in addition to the higher temperatures, they warp an astonishing amount as they cool, about the only thing they will stick to is Garolite, and you need to buy a piece thick enough the part won't just warp it, which is not particularly cheap and if the first layer is two low, you may not be able to remove the part from the garolite even with a hammer.

TGlasse is not Nylon, it's I believe Polyethelene, the same stuff they make some soda bottles out of.

Bridge is Nylon, and is a lot like 645, but printable at lower temperatures, with much nicer warping characteristics, I was really liking it especially for mechanical parts, but... the two rolls I have are basically unprintable over large sections of the material because they are way out of spec and jam in the hotend body or bowden tube, Taulman assures me that this is not normal, Mine measures 1.95mm in places, they say the largest they gave seen is 1.87 (which is still pushing it).
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

I've had good success with a wood bed + a brim with nylon. I've always been able to pry it off the bed ( though wood fibers tear off if I have my z height off)

Return to “Filament”