Temp for bright PLA

Discuss filament successes and failures!
Ricky_Spanish
Prints-a-lot

Temp for bright PLA

Post by Ricky_Spanish »

I'm doing a print using neon green Filamex PLA. To get good flow and a good surface, I have to run 210 degrees and 140% flow as compared to my other colors at 192 degrees and 100%. It's printing good at that, it just seems really hot for PLA, just wondering if this is common for bright colors. BTW, this is my 2nd roll, and I had to do it with the other one, too.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Temp for bright PLA

Post by Polygonhell »

All plastic varies a great deal, I've had PLA that won't print reliably at anything short of 230C, but I generally print PLA in the 180-190 range.
Some of it is the color added and some of it is just different plastic blends, PLA isn't one specific blend.

I'd be more worried about the 140% flow, that means your outputting 40% more plastic than calculated, I personally NEVER change the flow rate when I change plastic. I'd verify and adjust the filament radius and possibly the ESteps setting for the extruder.
Ricky_Spanish
Prints-a-lot

Post by Ricky_Spanish »

I did 4 test cubes, one with each color I currently have, at 100%. I measured the 4 walls of 3 of them and averaged them together. They came up .57 on a .55 extrusion width, not bad for 12 measurements IMO. I would have done the green one, but it wasn't a cube. It was a little pile of green beads and strings. At 140% extrusion, it came up .51 average. The best I can figure, I got 2 bad rolls of filament. Oh, well, I got the guys prints done.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

140% shouldn't be a "normal" workaround. I would definitely take a closer look at your temps.

Return to “Filament”