PETG Filament by Alchement mini review

Discuss filament successes and failures!
Glacian22
Printmaster!

PETG Filament by Alchement mini review

Post by Glacian22 »

I'd been looking at the various flavors of PET filament out there, like Taulman T-Glase, MadeSolid PET+, etc, and while they seem to have really nice properties it was always a little on the pricey side compared to the old standby of PLA or ABS. But I found a Chinese seller on ebay, Alchement, who's selling their version for $35/kg so I ordered a spool to try out.

First impressions:
Their packaging is nice, really really nice. Take a look-

[img]http://i60.tinypic.com/5yhpms.jpg[/img]

That doesn't say anything about the actual quality of their filament, but it does show that they care in general. The filament feels somewhat flexible, on par with ABS. In fact, they suggest approximately the same temperature range as ABS, so for my first print I ran it as 230c. Other settings are 60c bed, 50mm/s, .1mm layer height, 4mm retraction, and layer fan on (since it's a very low warp material, supposedly).

Here's the result:

[img]http://i61.tinypic.com/2hmd79f.jpg[/img]

It's a set of spinning rings, which printed very nicely. The much vaunted low-warp property seems accurate since it stayed stuck on glass with hairspray despite the layer fan being on high from the beginning, but then came away without too much fuss when it was done. There's no smell at all while printing...not the sweet "hey who's making pancakes" smell of PLA or the "oh god I'm getting cancer" of ABS. There doesn't look like there was any stringing, but this wasn't the best test for that.

After playing with the rings for a while the outer loops on the top and bottom started to peel away, so the layer bonding wasn't great. I reprinted it with the same settings except for the hotend being 5c hotter, 235, and that second version was actually incredibly hard to pull apart. I had to use pliers and really work at it for a few minutes!

Overall I'm incredibly impressed by this first test run, this might be my new default material! :D Oh, and it turns out they have their own website, alchement.com, where everything is a few dollars cheaper than ebay. Bonus!
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Re: PETG Filament by Alchement mini review

Post by Earthbound »

Excellent information to have. I think I'll give some of their product a try myself.
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

I tried some PETG from this place - http://intservo.com/products/esun-petg- ... -1kg-spool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - they happen to be 2 cities over from me, so of course I had to see what they had to offer.

I haven't printed much with it yet but I agree that A.) the smell is minimal and B.) prints are very strong. The test print I did make I was going for clarity rather than strength, and even then the part feels very solid. It has a little give to it but I don't get the impression that it's going to snap apart.
Glacian22 wrote:or the "oh god I'm getting cancer" of ABS.
LOL! :lol:
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
AndyB
Prints-a-lot

Post by AndyB »

Is the PETG filament safe to use on a stock extruder? Are the working temperatures equivalent to ABS, or hot enough to melt the PFTE in the PEEK?

I'm interested in this material because it won't make my office smell like a chemical plant.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

AndyB wrote:Is the PETG filament safe to use on a stock extruder? Are the working temperatures equivalent to ABS, or hot enough to melt the PFTE in the PEEK?

I'm interested in this material because it won't make my office smell like a chemical plant.
He did state that he printed it at 235 C, and he couldn't pull it apart. So yes, you can use the stock hotend.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

I don't know exactly what's the difference between T-glasse (PETT) and PETG, but they seem similar enough to me. I printed my PETG at 212 because that's what was recommended for maximizing PETT's clarity. It worked just fine, so the stock hotend is quite capable of handling it.
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
AndyB
Prints-a-lot

Post by AndyB »

On the Maker Gear forum, another user was talking about 255C for best results. I remember reading that the top temp for the stock extruder was 245C. Mhackney also states to use the lowest temp that will adhere well. Could it just be variations in temperature calibration that lead the other poster to think that 255C is the "best" temp? I bought three spools and had a moment of panic that I'd made a big mistake.
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Post by Glacian22 »

It could also be that different formulations of petg run at different temps.

Return to “Filament”