Checking out the local filament factory...

Discuss filament successes and failures!
CRPerryJr
Printmaster!

Checking out the local filament factory...

Post by CRPerryJr »

I was searching around for a local source of filament in my area, and 'lo and behold, there's a factory in my neighborhood! I emailed the owner and he invited me to come tour the factory tomorrow. Being still new to all this, is there anything I should be looking for or ask so I don't seem a complete idiot?

Here's the place I'll be touring tomorrow.
Fabb Filaments

Thanks!
Rob
SeeMeCNC Rostock Max V2
Makerbot Replicator Gen 5
Neptune
Printmaster!

Re: Checking out the local filament factory...

Post by Neptune »

Not bad pricing... shipping for 2 rolls is $9.50 and the roll price is competitive.

They have a great deal on the "Lay Wood" like product, so I'm giving that and one of their rolls of ABS a try.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

This is a good watch: https://youtu.be/OEkksADFjP8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Some of their claims about being the first are sketchy, but it's a nice primer on the technology, regardless.

I'd be curious to find out about the manufacturer's quality control. How they ensure a consistent diameter, if their colors are mixed well, if they've set up the process to avoid air bubbles and other flaws/contaminants. I'm also curious how long they've been doing it, if they're 3D printing with their own filament, etc.

Find out anything that you can, it sounds like a neat opportunity!
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

Well right off the bat I'm curious about their PLA spools that contain recycled ABS!

I also might ask why when I see something fancy like "glow in the dark," why is it always PLA and never ABS?

EDIT: I see they also advertise that they accept empty spools to save you part of that cost. I'd be curious how much (they sell empty spool for $5.95), and whether it's cost effective to ship a box of empty spools back?
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
CRPerryJr
Printmaster!

Post by CRPerryJr »

Thanks all for your help! I'm heading there now.
SeeMeCNC Rostock Max V2
CRPerryJr
Printmaster!

Post by CRPerryJr »

[img]http://www.perrydice.com/images/boxfilament.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.perrydice.com/images/goodsize.jpg[/img]
What a cool place! More info to follow, I'm testing out some of the filament! So far, it's great stuff!
SeeMeCNC Rostock Max V2
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Looks like you came home with some swag!

Here's the million dollar question - was it a purchase or a gift? :)
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
CRPerryJr
Printmaster!

Post by CRPerryJr »

I purchased the colored ABS and Wood filament, and he gave me 1kg of SMOOVE to try! (90% PLA/10% ABS) I'm playing with the yellow ABS right now, I'm going to try the SMOOVE next.

The gentlemen at the factory were really nice and excited to show my wife and I around. They currently have 3 lines running and a fourth line that they make custom stuff like the ABS/PLA mix and the WOOD. They've been in business about 6 months now, but the gentlemen that were working there, including the owner, have been in plastics for over 20 years. All their equipment looked neat and clean, as did their facility. They even have a 3D printer on site they use to test all the filament they make. (Not a Rostock though...)

They are working on producing Nylon filament pretty soon, which I'm excited to see.

They use a x/y laser measuring devices inline that alarms and can shut down the line if the filament isn't in the spec they require.

They use a process where the filament exits the extruder die, (I don't know if that's the right term) runs through a warm water bath, then a cool water bath, then the laser measuring device, then the machine that puts it on a HUGE reel. Pretty neat to see! The video on the website is pretty much the process.

I asked about how they keep things dry. They said they use a warm air dryer right now, but have some other machine coming that suppose to be better next week....

I asked about turning in old reels for credit. They said they'd give $1.25 per empty 1kg reel discount. Other size reels may have different discounts.

I asked about why the glow in the dark stuff is only in PLA. I don't think I really got a straight answer, or I probably just didn't understand the answer, but they did show me some nice fluorescent ABS.

As I mentioned before, the gentlemen working there were very helpful and tried to explain things so even I could try to figure it out. :)

Anyway, for $202.00 I walked out with 8-1kg color ABS reels, 1-1kg Wood reel, and 1 FREE-1kg SMOOVE reel. That's including paying Michigan sales tax of 6%. No shipping of course! I'm pretty happy so far. The ABS is printing well! I'll let you all know more as I try more stuff.

I hope I answered at least some of your questions. Thanks again for all your help!
Rob
SeeMeCNC Rostock Max V2
Neptune
Printmaster!

Post by Neptune »

Did you get a discount code for all the SeeMe CNC folks???
CRPerryJr
Printmaster!

Post by CRPerryJr »

:) I woulda if I coulda. :)
SeeMeCNC Rostock Max V2
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Thanks for sharing your info.
Glad to see another made in the USA filament manufacture. And a decent price.
Nice that they are fairly close to me.
Hope it is good stuff.
Keep us updated about how it prints.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
Durandal
Printmaster!

Post by Durandal »

I'm going to have to check them out, they're about 30 minutes from where I work, and the fact that they sell material in very large rolls excites me, as I've been looking for something truly huge (Potential customers don't like to hear about my 3lb limit when they want my large build area and solid parts.) just in case.
Neptune
Printmaster!

Post by Neptune »

So I ordered a couple of rolls from these guys...a yellow ABS 1.75 and one of the Laywood type rolls.

Haven't printed the laywood one yet, but the yellow works fairly well only complaint is that it seems brittle for ABS. I had the filament broken on the spool part way down and the parts I print are more brittle than any other ABS I've used.
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Post by jmpreuss »

Neptune wrote:So I ordered a couple of rolls from these guys...a yellow ABS 1.75 and one of the Laywood type rolls.

Haven't printed the laywood one yet, but the yellow works fairly well only complaint is that it seems brittle for ABS. I had the filament broken on the spool part way down and the parts I print are more brittle than any other ABS I've used.
I ordered a couple rolls too. I got some green that I haven't tried out. I also got a roll of the laywood type. Some of the most difficult filament I have ever printed. Even though it is PLA based it warped/cracked worse for me that most ABS. Helpful tips. First use a heated bed, 60c (it is PLA so you don't want to go higher). Second, do NOT use a layer fan even though it is PLA, it will crack like crazy if you do. Doing this I could print smaller parts with success, but bigger parts not so much.
PTMNBN="Printer that must not be named" - a heavily upgraded Replicator 2
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

how is that smoove treating you?
Neptune
Printmaster!

Post by Neptune »

jmpreuss wrote:
Neptune wrote:So I ordered a couple of rolls from these guys...a yellow ABS 1.75 and one of the Laywood type rolls.

I ordered a couple rolls too. I got some green that I haven't tried out. I also got a roll of the laywood type. Some of the most difficult filament I have ever printed. Even though it is PLA based it warped/cracked worse for me that most ABS. Helpful tips. First use a heated bed, 60c (it is PLA so you don't want to go higher). Second, do NOT use a layer fan even though it is PLA, it will crack like crazy if you do. Doing this I could print smaller parts with success, but bigger parts not so much.
I printed with the laywood type filament last night and I had no idea it was PLA based(Their website says 40% wood flour and binder resin). I printed at 235,230 and 225 with bed at 85. Had no warping, printed small and large parts. Printed with layer fan on at 20% for a couple pieces that had large and small parts to them and it printed just fine. 225 was the best temp I found, could probably go up a few degrees. Only thing I was disappointed with was it was a bit more plastic than wood, but I had nothing to set my expectations correctly because I haven't tried any other laywood type filament. Can you speak to this?

I would say turn up your temp for both hotend and bed and print away!
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Post by jmpreuss »

Neptune wrote:
I printed with the laywood type filament last night and I had no idea it was PLA based(Their website says 40% wood flour and binder resin). I printed at 235,230 and 225 with bed at 85. Had no warping, printed small and large parts. Printed with layer fan on at 20% for a couple pieces that had large and small parts to them and it printed just fine. 225 was the best temp I found, could probably go up a few degrees. Only thing I was disappointed with was it was a bit more plastic than wood, but I had nothing to set my expectations correctly because I haven't tried any other laywood type filament. Can you speak to this?

I would say turn up your temp for both hotend and bed and print away!
I assumed it was PLA based since most of these mixed filaments are. I definitely wasn't printing it as hot as you were (I had it at 220 on my rep2 which is like printing at 210 on other printers.) Maybe I will reprint the large part that failed at those higher temps, if so I'll report back.

At the same time I ordered this stuff I also ordered a sample of Woodfill from Printed Solid. The woodfill looked and felt like wood where I agree with you this other stuff felt very plastic like. Unfortunately Woodfill is $58 for 600grams!!!
PTMNBN="Printer that must not be named" - a heavily upgraded Replicator 2
CRPerryJr
Printmaster!

Post by CRPerryJr »

Here's a print I made with the Laywood product from FABB Filaments. It was part of a gift for my mom on Mother's Day. The only thing I did was hit it with a coat or 2 of some clear spray paint I had in the garage. Printed at 230c. Minimum support.

[img]http://www.perrydice.com/images/statue.jpg[/img]
SeeMeCNC Rostock Max V2
TFMike
Printmaster!

Post by TFMike »

Have you tried the ABS / PLA hybrid yet?
CRPerryJr
Printmaster!

Post by CRPerryJr »

TFMike wrote:Have you tried the ABS / PLA hybrid yet?
I've tried the 90% PLA/10% ABS blend with pretty good results. I don't print a lot of PLA, but it works just like PLA, same temps and everything. No Warping.

I've tried their SMOOVE as well, and it prints good. The only problem I had was I was printing with ABS settings, and I think that was too hot. Poor 3dhubs guy had bad tacos..... :(

[img]http://www.perrydice.com/images/martianfront.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.perrydice.com/images/martianback.jpg[/img]

But I printed these in the SMOOVE and they came out great at ABS settings.
[img]http://www.perrydice.com/images/vases.jpg[/img]

Some other prints with FABB Filaments...filament :)
[img]http://www.perrydice.com/images/jewelrybox.jpg[/img] (100% ABS)
[img]http://www.perrydice.com/images/rocktopus.jpg[/img] (100% ABS)
[img]http://www.perrydice.com/images/wrench.jpg[/img] (90% PLA/10% ABS)
[img]http://www.perrydice.com/images/spoolholder.jpg[/img] (100% ABS) *Thanks jfettig!
SeeMeCNC Rostock Max V2
CRPerryJr
Printmaster!

Post by CRPerryJr »

FabbFilaments has a special going on...

Super Special: most std color ABS & PLA 1kg rolls $18.99 ea
SeeMeCNC Rostock Max V2
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Hah! I see they posted your pictures on their site. That's fun. :)

Return to “Filament”