Z offset starts out cleaning at correct height, but goes up 5mm or so when it starts to print

sandcrab123
Noob

Z offset starts out cleaning at correct height, but goes up 5mm or so when it starts to print

Post by sandcrab123 »

First let me confess that I am new to 3D printing! I'm finally at the stage where I can start to print on my smoothie board Cartesian printer. I have everything working and I am trying to print a test block. I am using Simplify3D to slice and prepare the g code. This is what is happening. When the printer starts to run a print, the print head does a cleaning cycle with the z axis at the correct level. It then moves to the center of the bed raises the print head approximately 5 or 6 MM and starts to print. Of course all this does is make a mess and I abort the print. I've tried to adjust the Z offset in Simplify 3D, but this doesn't seem to help. Any ideas to correct this problem would be appreciated. I can do a video if that would help.

Thanks Dan
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Z offset starts out cleaning at correct height, but goes up 5mm or so when it starts to print

Post by Xenocrates »

So, as a quick aside, this forum is mostly aimed at delta printers. Keep that in mind as we offer advice, because it may not be the best for a Cartesian printer.

That said, a video and your slicing settings would be very helpful in trying to figure this out.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Re: Z offset starts out cleaning at correct height, but goes up 5mm or so when it starts to print

Post by IMBoring25 »

Raising the nozzle 5mm so it doesn't run a risk of hitting the edge of the bed is a common element of start gcode. It sounds like you may have that command in your start gcode but not the one that restores the nozzle to the first layer height. Slic3r does that step automatically but Simplify3D may not.
sandcrab123
Noob

Post by sandcrab123 »

O.K. Thanks guys. I'm going to move this over to the smoothie site then. Thanks for trying to help.
Dan
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

This is NOT a mostly delta printer forum. Other printer styles are discussed here. With that being said, I agree with IMBoring25, I would look into S3d first. It would possibly be in the advanced process settings under "Scripts". For a start script, for my Delta, it is: G28 ; home all axes
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I said mostly, and stick by it, not because there aren't people with them as there are, and not because they aren't welcome, because they most certainty are, but because most of the discussion is based around them, and most of the people here have them (And in cases with multiple printers, many have both).

I'm personally very willing to help and to have him here (I am not the sort to turn away anyone I can help), but I wanted to make sure that in case someone asked him to check his horizontal radius, or arm length, or some other uniquely Delta thing, he knew where we were coming from, and that he knew that forums with more of a focus on Cartesian machines, or on Smoothie, might offer better advice. A focused forum is great at what it focuses on, but it's a crapshot outside of that as to what speed and quality of advice is offered outside there. There are forums more focused on his issues, and if he wasn't asking there as well, it's best for him to do so.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “Smoothieboard and variants”