GLCD on smoothieboard

KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

GLCD on smoothieboard

Post by KAS »

Would someone mind taking a picture of their GLCD turned on? Mine have pretty bad contrast, and I've adjusted them both to the highest setting with the trim pot.

Also, I did get the non-official GLCD from Amazon working. It appears the official GLCD exp1/exp2 has the pin-out reversed on the header. I just cut notches in the fake GLCD header and flipped the cables 180 to get it working.

i'll fix these blurry images when I get home.
20150506_185440.jpg
20150502_164020.jpg
forrie
Printmaster!

Re: GLCD on smoothieboard

Post by forrie »

Are you using the 0.5 or 1.0amp voltage regulator? That panel will have poor contrast if you use the 0.5.

http://smoothieware.org/panel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not an alcoholic...I'm Australian!
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

forrie wrote:Are you using the 0.5 or 1.0amp voltage regulator? That panel will have poor contrast if you use the 0.5.

http://smoothieware.org/panel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's the 1.0 amp version on both boards. I also tried it with and without the dedicated 5v next to the VBB with no change. It's not as bad as it looks on camera, but it's not even close to the LCD on the Rostock Max. So I wasn't sure if that's just the nature of the GLCD in general or what.
forrie
Printmaster!

Post by forrie »

My regulators turned up yesterday. When I get the panel running I'll take a pic.
forrie
Printmaster!

Post by forrie »

Another thought...have you tried messing with contrast in the config file? No idea if it will work on that panel...

Code: Select all

panel.contrast                              9                 # override contrast setting (default is 9)
gestalt73
Printmaster!

Post by gestalt73 »

Dunno about the white one, but the red one has a contrast trimmer pot on the lower left of the display. Crank everything up, heated bed, hot end, then adjust the contrast using the trimmer pot.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

gestalt73 wrote:Dunno about the white one, but the red one has a contrast trimmer pot on the lower left of the display. Crank everything up, heated bed, hot end, then adjust the contrast using the trimmer pot.

I tried that as-well. The white one has it on the back sandwiched between the two PCB boards. Both are turned up as high as they go. Turn it a 1/4 turn to the right and you cant see anything.
forrie wrote:Another thought...have you tried messing with contrast in the config file? No idea if it will work on that panel...

Code: Select all

panel.contrast                              9                 # override contrast setting (default is 9)
I did miss that, I give it a try.
gestalt73
Printmaster!

Post by gestalt73 »

Ok, here's everything that I can think of when I installed my GLCD, in case it helps.

Most importantly, I quadruple checked my wiring, the wiring harness needed is a bit crazy, and I still got a few backwards the first time.

When I power the board through USB only, no regulator, the display is very dim, but still readable.

I didn't install the regulator, because I'm using a PC power supply, so I just wired the +/-5V off of a pair of red/black lines.
I've read that the default 0.5amp regulator recommended isn't suitable for powering the GLCD, so they recommend installing the 1amp variant.

When I power the board up, the display is dimmer than after I first set hotend and bed temps
It appears that after I set the temps for the first time, it stays the same brightness after I power down the hotend and heated bed.

Oh, and the contrast setting from the menu doesn't seem to do anything, at least on the red version I have.

Because of all of the above, I set the contrast after I powered everything up.

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/zDT4q ... 1886-h1834[/img]
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

So the official RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller, has the pot between the boards. A screwdriver wasn't cutting it so I used mini pliers to turn the contrast up. Felt like a detent or click when turning, maybe 1/4 turn clockwise at most.

The clone GLCD needed a little resistance on the pot trace. 1k ohm was a little better, just kept trying different ones until I ended up at 47ohm.

20150508_231958.jpg
20150508_232206.jpg
20150508_232312.jpg
forrie
Printmaster!

Post by forrie »

I just got mine working....yippie!

and it's fine, didn't have to touch a thing. It's hard to take a good photo, it actually looks 10 times better than this...

I have the 1.0amp on the smoothie and the 0.5amp regulator on the adapter board.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/uK9iY0n.jpg[/img]
DarrenAnton
Printmaster!

Post by DarrenAnton »

?? It was my understanding you put the 1 amp on the Smoothieboard and do "not" on the adapter board as it does no good at all is that not the case?

Mine works good so far but my printer is not setup yet...
I did turn the pot all the way to right and looks good there with usb power only
We will find out when I get the printer online

http://www.makergeeks.com/xtsm12lcdra1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
is the one I have (40.00 is better then 70.00)
and I bet they got it off ebay...they have the "SAME ONE" for about 13.00

[quote="forrie"]I just got mine working....yippie!

and it's fine, didn't have to touch a thing. It's hard to take a good photo, it actually looks 10 times better than this...

I have the 1.0amp on the smoothie and the 0.5amp regulator on the adapter board.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

I only have the 1 amp on the smoothieboard and nothing on the GLCD adapter. It works fine on mine, even with just USB power.

If you hook up the 5v connection, you don't need any regulators at all.
czecht
Plasticator

Rostock MAX V2 and LCD 12864

Post by czecht »

I'm looking how to connect the 12864 LCD to my V2. I can find only very old stuff.Where is instructions how to do it and what must be changed - if anything? I have the regular 4 line LCD at this time, just like the printer came with. My board is RAMBO 1.1b
Also, can I test the LCD without any other power, only USB connected to the Rambo?
I have a spare board and I would like to play with that to test it.
Is there a different Firmware that would take advantage of the extras on the LCD 12864?
Thanks.
Tony

Return to “Smoothieboard and variants”