Anyone using Octoprint to control smoothie?

bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Anyone using Octoprint to control smoothie?

Post by bubbasnow »

im using my Pi to try and connect without success, it looks like its refusing the usb conneciton
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Anyone using Octoprint to control smoothie?

Post by bubbasnow »

took a nap, now its working
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Did it take anything specila? I might give it a shot. I gave up using the Rambo, too many print failures due to communication errors
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

It was my setup which was causing a hickup. i use my pi to power 4ch relay, i have the heatbed power supply, lights, and printer main supply on it. the pi would be powered up before the smoothie. I cut the 5vdc line on my usb host cable so that only 5v supply was from the 12v printer supply. when the smoothie powers on and is ready, i would not see its usb port in the pull down list on octoprint. The fix is to close the webpage and reopen a fresh one once everything is powered on.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

Are you still doing this?

I like the idea of using an external file/UI controller, since you can drag files to it at full speed and not have to wait a year. It's just that I'm cautious because printing over USB often results in stalled prints, for various reasons.
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

I sure am, its printing right now. I have disabled lcd panel and ethernet on the smoothie because its all handled by the pi. I have no issues using its terminal to run your fw.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

I want to bring PanelDue into my fork (it already exists in another) but I think the Pi solution is better. My Smoothieboard writes at something like 20K/sec. I hate having to choose between that, and unmounting it and shuffling it back and forth with the computer, waiting for the hot end to get back up to temp, etc. If the Pi is more reliable, it seems to me, that's the way to go. What screen are you using with it?
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

I belive he is using his web browser to control it judging by the thread title, guessing its probably running octoprint?
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

Yup, octopi image on a rpi2. I connect to the wifi connected pi on my local network using a web browser.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

You don't have an LCD screen?
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

626Pilot wrote:You don't have an LCD screen?
I have tons of them :) But, for my smoothie connected to OctoPi I control it via chrome on a windows machine. no other screens connected.
PyjamaSam
Prints-a-lot

Post by PyjamaSam »

I am the same way. I have a Pi2 running Octoprint and its connected to my X5 mini via USB. I have only ever run the printer that way. Never even tried to copy a gcode file to the SD card.

I find it very easy to use, and running on the Pi2 its quite responsive.

Infact I actually run my printer in my office in my barn, and I monitor it remotely using the Pi's camera.

My workflow tends to be to get the gcode ready on my laptop in the house and upload it to Octoprint, run out to the barn and open a browser on my gaming pc out there, get stuff up to temp and get filament loaded, start the print and make sure the first few layers are working, then head back to the house and watch it remotely.

Works really well.

I am even in the process of getting octoprint tied into OpenHab2 using the MQTT plugin so I get notifications through that for events (like print done).

I am really happy with octoprint overall and I very much like the workflow to use it.

chris.

Return to “Smoothieboard and variants”