DLP/SLA

Vat designs and coatings etc..., Electronics and mods, Z stages and mechanisms to release the prints from Vats etc...
wheemzy
Plasticator

DLP/SLA

Post by wheemzy »

I have an extra Rambo board sitting around. Was thinking of replicating the droplit. Is it possible to run a Sla printer on a Rambo without a ton of coding? Asking for a friend. :lol:
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Re: DLP/SLA

Post by Glacian22 »

Yep, and you'll probably want a raspberry pi as the host controller/video output for the DLP projector.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Yep, it's pretty easy. Look up NanoDLP as the control program. It uses a RaspberryPi to generate the HDMI images to your projector, and sends GCode to your printer's control board via USB. You only need 1 motor output for the Z, two if you add a tilt mechanism. Most people use a "flex vat" with FEP film and don't do a tilt, though. For more info, the NanoDLP forum is pretty good. I also made a set of videos that will give you a rough idea of what's involved. https://www.nanodlp.com/tutorial/ My example doesn't use a Rambo board, but it's a decent place to start.
wheemzy
Plasticator

Post by wheemzy »

Thanks, I know it’s been asked before but the answers may be a bit dated, what DLP should I use? As far as I can tell, any 1080p dlp over 3000 lumens, with contrast ratio of 20,000 to 1 should work. Seems like changing the led bulbs to uv is ideal, not sure if that only works on certain makes/models....

Seems like all the discussions on this issue on the various forums like reddit or reprap, etc seem to be from circa 2014.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

3k lumens is a nice place to start, yep. And DLP only. You got it.

Many people have used small Acer projectors, and that's what I have, but there are lots of companies that build cheap little projectors like that. As far as illumination goes, I'd stick with a traditional lamp instead of goofing with modding an LED module. It can certainly be done, but unless you are 100% confident with the electronics and thermal considerations involved, I'd advise most people against it. Same thing with laser projectors.

Contrast ratio is kind of a bogus spec because different manufacturers measure it with different methods and conditions, so I wouldn't use that as a comparison point between models. Lumens have been reined in a little bit (especially if the manufacturer lists ANSI Lumens) but contrast ratio is still arguably marketing.

Return to “DropLit”