Build Vat

Vat designs and coatings etc..., Electronics and mods, Z stages and mechanisms to release the prints from Vats etc...
jlmccuan
Printmaster!

Build Vat

Post by jlmccuan »

Would there be any issues with using acrylic or polycarbonate to construct build vats?
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Build Vat

Post by Nylocke »

The reason it may not be common for vats to be in PC or Acrylic is because they aren't very chemical resistant. Same reason SeeMe advises the "extra bits" to be printed in PLA VS ABS. ABS has similar chemical resistance to Acrylic and PC. I think the resins used in the Droplit and other similar printers have chemicals that can degrade/dissolve other plastics like PC, ABS, and Acrylic.
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Post by Glacian22 »

Many vats are made with acrylic, just be sure you're using cast and not extruded. I tried using polycarbonate, but it got weird...the resin kind of stained it, so I have to assume it wasn't resisting it as well as the acrylic.
Fabio
Prints-a-lot

Post by Fabio »

Ultimately how would a Borosilicate Glass container hold up?
MESHWEAVER - making the Imaginary real on a Daily Basis.....
jlmccuan
Printmaster!

Post by jlmccuan »

The 100mm petri dishes I'm currently using are borosilicate glass. I have release layers of QSil in some and Teflon sheet in others. The Teflon works well and holds up for dozens of prints. I have yet to use the QSil dishes. I also got dishes with lids so that I can change resins by putting a lid on one, storing it out of the light and pop in another. Keeps me from throwing out resin or dumping it back in the container with virgin resin. You can also use the lids as vats and they are wide enough that they don't try to go off in the hole and set unlevel. BTW, that Teflon sheet is a real bear to install without air pockets, wrinkles or stretching too far.
sgraber
Printmaster!

Post by sgraber »

FYI PC is not UV transparent...

Return to “DropLit”