Some questions and problems

The ERIS Delta, a truly affordable entry into Delta 3D Printing
DC in the North
Noob

Some questions and problems

Post by DC in the North »

Hey all, I am a computer technician for a k-12 school in Northern Michigan and I was asked to help them implement 2-3 3D printers and form a program for student use. I am still in the early stages of this and have had an Eris on loan from the Intermediate School District for a few weeks now. I had zero 3D printing experience prior to this other than the things I had looked up to satisfy my own interest in the process. Things have been going well and I have absorbed a lot of knowledge, and some good prints, but I have started to run into a few problems. this biggest one is I think a calibrations/setting issue I have been running into this kind of uneven layer separation: [img]http://i66.tinypic.com/346m78w.jpg[/img] where it starts printing level and then gets way off until it has built up enough junk layer to build on again. Here is the exported gcode for that print: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fk27r38i5oavf ... gcode?dl=0

there doesn't seem to be a certain height or layer height that triggers it see this one: [img]http://i67.tinypic.com/2eundav.jpg[/img]
Timelapse: https://youtu.be/CGZwnzCtMMs
Separation around 2:40

the other question I have is this: I have been just using MatterControl and calibrating between each build at low temperatures (<30c) is there a different slicer I should be using? any other steps to help improve build quality? and lastly any links to helpful resources for all of the print settings, temperatures, troubleshooting etc ?

Thanks for any reply,

-DC
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Some questions and problems

Post by Xenocrates »

It looks to me like issues with doing the bridging on the top and little bits of plastic sticking up, perhaps due to oozing and poor retracts (Which also seem to appear), and that the head was nudged slightly out of position due to this.

Here are some suggestions:

Profile your filament. Determine temperatures and retracts that work well. This means printing test parts (Rather than cool board game parts), many of which are utterly useless other than for profiling, and doing it over and over again until you like it. It also means using calipers to check the diameter and adjust the slicing profiles.

Get a good calibration and stick with it. I find autocalibration is nice, but usually it's inconsistent enough that doing it over and over again will introduce the errors it's supposed to remove. Only calibrate when things fail. (This is a statement on Taz 6 calibration mostly, as that's the printer i've seen it happen worst with).

Don't worry about asking questions. There are lots of us who are VERY happy to help you with any issues. Some of us even work for (Or in my case, with for now, since the department head is fighting for budget on hiring me) other schools. But also don't be afraid to experiment. SeemeCNC builds good machines. Even knocking it off the table won't break an Eris (It's been tested by them. On I think the third try the power supply jack bent, there's a video somewhere).

When in doubt run slow. Until the part starts smooshing because it hasn't cooled, it will give you time to react, or for the head to reheat the bulges so they don't make it skip. Increase cooling while you're doing it though, obviously.

If you've got repeatable errors, watch them and find what it's doing. I discovered a bug in Mattercontrol was responsible for my issues like this, via watching what it was doing, and got the prints to complete by going 20% speed.

Also, lastly, ABS or PLA?
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
DC in the North
Noob

Printing in PLA, so far I have just been using the default settings and temperature, profiling seems like a very good place to start. Do you know of a guide out there for manually calibrating the Eris? I have seen guides for the Orion but they reference parts that the Eris does not have.

Thanks again,

-DC
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

The Eris doesn't have any manual adjustments. What I have done, is open up the Eeprom settings when connected to Repetier Host, and adjust the endstop offset adjustments there. One step = .0125 mm.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

There's not much of a guide since the Eris isn't designed for manual calibration. However, most of the software side stuff, while less convenient, is still available even without the LCD.

For calibrating the endstops, you'll need to use the EEPROM offsets, which means taking the axis steps/mm value and multiplying it by the error, and then putting it in the correct location. However, you'll want to double check that you didn't introduce a sign error. Once you have all 3 lacking errors, subtract the smallest one from the others and see if nothing breaks (To regain more Z height).

For Z-height, you can use the displayed Z position in Mattercontrol and create a small macro to move it downwards incrementally.

Horizontal radius is largely the same as other printers in the line up, but is going to be smaller.

Arm length is best calibrated with a series of test cubes, and determining what is trace width error (AKA constant error) versus scaling error (changes with size of object), and compensating for the trace width error in the slicer, and the scaling error in the arm length. Multiply the current arm length by the reciprocal of the scaling error to get the new arm length.

Beyond that on calibration, there's not much to do (The Rambo doesn't do Least squares calibration well)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
DC in the North
Noob

I will have to look into Repetier, it also looks like I have some research to do. Thanks to both of you for the wealth of information.

DC
djkirkendall
Plasticator

Post by djkirkendall »

Cura works really well for me. I skipped straight to octopi/cura as I utterly despise mattercontrol.

This profile works really well for the stock blue that comes with the machine, and is working at the moment with MatterHacker Bronze PRO PLA.

Judging from the pictures, you're snagging on the curled bridges. I have a "Yes! Man" print from Fallout 3 that does the same thing. I wound up placing my own support bridges to the buildplate to catch the edges before they have a chance to curl. That print went from 50/50 success to 100% as a result.

Hope this helps!
Attachments
Eris - Default Cura Profile.ini
(9.49 KiB) Downloaded 230 times

Return to “ERIS Delta”